View Single Post
  #1221   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-19, 07:57

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi! Sorry, this isn’t about Dr. Fung, but it is about fasting.

So there’s someone who pops up on my YouTube newsfeed who goes by the name of Dr. Mindy. She has a ton of followers and teaches all kinds of fasting protocols and doing a reset of some sort. She has free stuff available but also classes and memberships that aren’t free.

Anyway, in her most recent video, she talks about how we need to time our fasts around our cycle. She suggest that menstruating women stop fasting during the week before their period, so around day 21. She recommends consuming hormone producing foods like squash or other higher carb vegetables, including potatoes, I think. Then, when your cycle starts or PMS passes, go back to keto and regular fasting protocols. If you don’t take keto breaks, that line up with your cycle (or when you’d expect your cycle to be, in the case of women who don’t cycle regularly) then you’re more likely to suffer with PMS and anxiety and maybe hair loss, lack of energy, etc.

What she’s saying makes perfect sense to me! I was just commenting to my keto friend in my neighborhood that normally I feel great doing OMAD and have been keeping my eating window to 2-8 hours (but mostly 2) since September. But the week before my period, I noticed that I just feel gross when I force myself to go more than 16-18 hours without food. I’ll feel more edgy and irritable and frustrated and weak and more. I told my friend that I wonder if maybe our cycles should be directing our fasting schedules, to some degree. Not that it’s a license to eat garbage, but that maybe huge calorie deficits and long stretches with no food, coupled with more stress than usual was not in our best interest during the PMS week. Intuitively, I have been going up to two meals a day when I’m experiencing PMS symptoms, but not as part of any strategy. It was just intuitive eating, trying to increase energy and to not feel gross. And then “Dr. Mindy” said exactly the same thing!

Does anyone who follows this thread have any thoughts about this?