View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 3
BF:
Progress: 102%

Sounds like a great time!

First for the airplane, obviously I would bring your own meal and decline the meal they offer you. I eat as a semi-vegetarian so I packed myself two hardboiled eggs, 2 oz cheese and 1/4 c. almonds. But I am sure you know what works for you as a "bring-along" meal.

If you are staying at B&Bs - which really is a good choice in my opinion - breakfast is part of the package and is usually an Irish Breakfast, also known as a "fry" This consists of a couple of fried eggs, Irish sausage and bacon, sometimes with the addition of half a grilled tomato or mushrooms. They usually also have cereal etc for the kiddos.

Now Irish sausage or pudding could not be sold as sausage in this country because of the quantity of cereal grains in it. So, I would ask them to skip the sausage and give you extra bacon (also known as "rasher").

When I was recently in Ireland I brought a couple of packages of morningstart bars with me and I would have those for breakfast with a cup of decaf or tea. I was staying with family the whole time and was acually the one doing the cooking since my MIL is ill. (we have traveled extensively there, tho, so not to worry, the advice should be good, lol!).

As far as restaurants and pubs - Pubs in the cities and tourist areas like Galway or Dublin would likely have the grilled meats and salmon and salads that NYorker Mentions and are probably a lot cheaper than the restaurants - which are very expensive in Ireland. However, in the country - I think Kildare would qualify Pub Grub generally means ham and cheese sandwiches with "chips" or french fries. So it can be very tough to LC on a steady diet of that! What I might suggest is stashing a loaf of LC bred in your suitcase, along with a supply of plastic baggies. I sometimes would carry a baggy with 2 slices in my purse for those occasions! LOL! If you are like me with supplies for your 4 year old, it won't be a problem to have an extra bag of food with you!

(p.s. I will continue in another post as this is getting very long)