View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-16, 15:03
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I divide foods into two categories... Foods that I can eat and foods that I don't eat. If a food is off plan, then I don't eat it. Not one bite. Not one taste. Those foods lost their power over me and they don't call my name anymore. I can be around those foods all day long without issue. It took some time to get there, but that is how it is now and I'm grateful for that.

But of the things I can eat, I do have a moderation problem with some of them. And of course they are of the 'calorie dense' variety that need to be eaten in moderation. Sugar sweetened peanut butter is one of them. A tbsp. or two would be fine on my WOE. If I put it on celery I can usually get away with it. But on a spoon by itself? No. It just pushes some buttons in my brain that harken back to those binge days and the "I think I'll have another" pattern returns. I won't wolf down 1/2 a jar, but I will often end up eating too much. It does not derail me, but it remains an issue and I do try to stay away from sweetened BP even if it is calling my name. I don't always succeed.

I don't have a problem with cheese, but my daughter does. So her problem foods are cheese & BP, too. I've had trouble with nuts & pork rinds. I've had some success putting my "problem" OP foods into "time-out" for a while. Then when I reintroduce those foods, I do so away from the source (such as a snack in my lunch at work). I've succeeded in training myself to moderate the nuts. I'm still working on the pork rinds.

This is why I don't cheat on off-plan foods, period. If I have this kind of trouble with certain OP foods, I'd be foolish to mess around the really bad carbs. Those foods would derail me. They always did before. High carb food - especially those processed foods loaded with sugar and lacking fiber, protein & fat - are just too tasty. They are formulated to the 'bliss point' and push all of those pleasure buttons. They've etched a pattern into my brain that is likely there forever. If I mess with them, even a little, they mess me up and throw me over the edge.