#15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 11:34

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I might try Kefir again. IDK if I was drinking too much when I tried because it kept making so much I was stockpiling it but I had a bad reaction around week 3-4. My head began itching horribly like needles poking into my head and the only thing I could think of was a fungus overgrowth. A good amount it in Kefir as I read. I stopped and the itching went way. Just to be clear, I have never had a yeast infection that I remember except when I was a kid because the Dr. use to give Penecillin injections at the drop of a hat. But in recent years, no. So it's not like I am prone to it.
Now I read at the link Mike posted that there are differences in strains depending on what part of the world it's from. I suspected this. Then I also wonder if a high humidity environment like I live in might increase the fungus in the Kefir...IDK?

Quote:
Well I almost hate to say what happened with me because I don't want to deter anyone from trying it based on what I found with me. We are all different. Obviously a lot of people have good experiences. I may try it again. The first link Mike posted in the group had a very detailed web-site where he goes into great detail about where he obtained his Kefir grains and how he mixed some from all parts of the world. It's very interesting reading!

Meme, as you know I always have 2 cents worth to add.

Getting the balance right is an individual thing. ANd while no doc will help; using your own noggin' as you do is your best recourse.

Perhaps retry and see if the same response appears? Or try less often? Did you use a commercial source? Might be a good place to start as their processing controls/ eliminates contaminants.

We usually have some levels of fungal material on our body; it is normal flora. How much and where is the balancing act. Dr Atkins talked about yeast overgrowth in our guts, and imp lied that some people have a negative reaction ( an allergic reaction) to some fungal food sources. As I remember he mentioned vinegar and mushrooms, as well as several other surprising sources.

When we have a severe case that is in a disease state that our body can not control, that is a good time to bring out the big guns to knock it down, and then have the body get back on the job. We often use CO to treat fungal issues. In two cases here at my house, we used coconut oil to knock out athletes feet; and I used CO to kill, and now control, fungal growth in my belly button. My son gets a staph going around his nostrils, and the CO will knock it down. It regularly reoccurs, but now that I am thinking about it, it has been a LONG time since it appeared. I also find honey is a natural anti- fungal. CO and honey dont work on exactly the same organisms; but cannot find a list of specific organisms they do affect; I just know if one is not working, try the other.

When I used to make bread, I would sample the batter. I learned to NOT do this. Resulted in terrible cramps. TERRIBLE. The yeast went wild in my GI, and loved all the carby food in there. ( I gave up bread baking almost 20 years ago-- when I first read DANDR. Making and eating a loaf everyday was NOT a good thing!! )

A few years ago,I could stay lc for a long time and then would cave to fresh baked bread. My GI would moderately cramp up and roil for 24 hours of discomfort. PITA really. But not like eating raw bread dough!! The answer was to take a probiotic pill to fix this asap. After a number of times, ya slow learner here!, I kept taking a probiotic every day for a long time. So when I did fall off the wagon and indulge in bread, the GI upset was totally avoided. My take away was that I had lost the microbes to handle the sudden intake of highly refined carbs in the form of bread flour; just like my horse that loved to suck down spring green grass and get a belly ache... all because the necessary GI microbes were not in place to help with proper digestion after a winter of first cut hay. ( I figured out this is the reason the recommendation is to change livestock diet gradually over two weeks!!! ANd WE too are just a form of livestock. LOL )

ANyway, my thought is that our body works best when all is in harmony. And our modern foods are devoid of getting in a regular allotment of a great variety of microbes. And devoid of the foods that keep them growing. ( NOT saying eating bread is a wise choice, lol)

Been reading lots on the lack of correct organisms transferring to our babies because we have too many c-sections and too few are breast feeding. Both are means of transferring and feeding the right organisms for optimal health.