Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 152.5/149/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default Yes you can do it without dairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21summer
i am very interested in trying the sout beach diet. i picked up the book though and see that most recipies include dairy. I have a degree of lactose intolerance/sensitivity and try to avaid dairy when possible. Do you think it is feasible to stay on the SB Diet without eating dairy?

Hi, and welcome. I've been on this for 2 months. Yes, you can do this without eating dairy. I have not eaten dairy (except yogurt, which I can tolerate), for years, and on this plan you can do it too. A little light cream is usually okay for people with a dairy problem, because there is almost no lactose or other milk things in it (it's a lot of fat and stuff). Anyway, I also sub in almond milk now and then. You can eat almonds, and eat almond butter (within reason). Almonds are extremely high in calcium, broccoli isn't bad either. A calcium supplement is a good idea. Nuts and seeds are okay in SBD. Um...Have you tried goat's cheese? When I want to have something with cheese, I use goat's mozarella, which is lower in fat than the cheddar. I take a larger potato peeler (the new 2 inch kind they sell) and shave off a slice of cheese. You get a lot of satisfaction this way without eating too much (fat content). I can't drink goat's milk, don't like the taste, but love the cheeses. Most people who have a problem with cow's products are okay with goats.
But basically, most things that require dairy, like Italian foods, and potatoes, and bread, are gone from SB anyway, so the need for dairy is gone too, in a way.
Enjoy exploring!
Goldie.