View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 19:28
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I have it and use it regularly in various ways. Although some use if for thickening, I haven't had too much finding the right amounts for it as a thickener. Invariably I get stuff too thick. But I have developed a great "dumpling" with it that has been very popular over the low-carb arena. Many really talented cooks have played around with that recipe and come up with some incredible stuff! I use small amounts of it in breads, cakes and muffin recipes as a texture enhancer and volumizer. Here's the dumpling recipe, and no, the amounts are NOT incorrect. Makes 12

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 tsp. baking powder

1½ T. glucomannan powder (Konjac powder)

1½ T. oat fiber (For gluten-free version, try substituting oat flour ground from 100% gluten-free oats, but I’m not making any promises that will work. It SHOULD, however. Carbs will be only slightly higher.)

1/8 tsp. salt

¼ c. +2 T. water

1 extra large or jumbo egg, beaten

VARIATION: Add 1-2 T. finely chopped parsley to the dry ingredients

DIRECTIONS: Beat the egg in a small bowl with a fork. Add the water and beat until well blended. On a paper plate or in another bowl, mix the dry ingredients well. Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring with a fork or whisk. Switching to a rubber spatula, stir and begin to fold the slowly thickening mixture over and over itself until it is a contiguous batter and eventually turns into a thick, almost dry dough. I let mine sit by the stove 2-3 minutes. Then, using a teaspoon, dip 3/4″-1″ dollops of the dough into your palm. This step is important: roll them gently in your palms into a ball shape. I set the balls on my counter or a silicone sheet until all are made. If you just drop them directly into the broth from the spoon without rolling, they tend to fall apart in the broth during cooking. Or using your hands, roll the dough into ropes on plastic wrap and cut into short lengths for gnocchi, if that’s your pleasure.

Have your soup/broth boiling. Drop the round dumplings/gnocchi into broth and immediately turn fire medium-low so it will only gently simmer. This is IMPORTANT, as you don’t want to “rough up” these delicate babies. Cover with tight lid. From the time you cover the pot, set timer for exactly 10 minutes for dumplings (8 minutes for smaller gnocchi). I like to remove chicken, meat or large chunks of vegetables to a platter while the dumplings are simmering to allow ample room for the dumplings to rise and swell up. DO NOT LIFT THE LID or disturb the pot during cooking. After 10 minutes (8 minutes for gnocchi), lift the lid and VOILA!! They’re done! You may have to thicken the stock further depending on your personal preference, but the dumplings themselves usually take care of thickening, as some of the glucomannan in then sloughs off into the broth, thickening it right up.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 medium-large 1½” dumplings (24 gnocchi), each contains: (halve the numbers for each gnocchi)

7.17 calories, 0.49 g fat, 1.38 g carbs, 1.29 g fiber, 0.1 g NET CARBS, 0.61 g protein, 55 mg sodium

and here's a link to the photo: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/...inal-dumplings/