View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 08:58

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

And you may be 'missing' part of the 'cholesterol and tri gly' mystery.

My cholesterol total was almost 423, and my tri glys were over 230...guess what I had??? Hypothyroidism. Yep.

TSH doesn't 'catch it' or mean much to a good thyroid doctor. My TSH was very VERY low (no, not hyPERthyroid, TSH doesn't test that...actually it doesn't test thyroid either...it tests pituitary action and is CHEAP to do and sounds' good, lol).

My actual thyroid hormones (Free T4, Free T3) were..um..almost none.

High cholesterol and tri glys in WOMEN especially (yes, men can have hypothyroidism too, but women are more apt to)...can signify thyroid disease, particularly Hashimoto's autoimmune Hypothyroidism (two out of every ten women, and of alllll the types of thyroid disease...this one is 98% of all hypothyroidism).

So...you're more apt to lower your cholesterol and try glys over time with a low carb diet (NO CHEATING though)...but if that's not doing it (test at the six month mark with NO cheating..not even a mouthful..otherwise, it can actually look 'higher' in the first few months of lowcarbing)...then get the proper tests for thyroid disease (Free T4, Free T3 (not T4, T3, those are totals), TPO AB for Hashimoto's..oh, and 'maybe' a TSH...

FT4 should be about midway of lab range or slightly UNDER to be normal, FT3 should be at LEAST midway of lab range, and some like it quite a bit higher and although TSH has a range of .23 to 5.5 (most labs) anything over a 2 is suspect...but like in MY case...my TSH was .32..but I wasn't making any hormones.