Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

My answers are below. Thanks a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
IMHO its time to look at another strategy or lc plan.

I'm trying another this week. I believe my problem is portion control. I'm cutting my portions in half this week. If I'm still hungry 20 minutes after I eat, then I'll get something. So far I cut my breakfast to have 2 scrambled eggs and 1 sausage patty down from 2 of each. If this works out well (and so far it seems good) I'll cut to 1 of each.

Some ideas.

Women over 40 sometimes need to do a lower fat, 30-40% plan.

I'll keep this in mind. I'm 34 right now and I really strive to up my fat intake, but if all else fails it's something to consider.

Are you getting at least 12 ounces cooked weight protein a day?

Yes.

Do you know your metabolic type? People are one of three types protein, carbo or mixed. Protein types do best on Atkins. If you are a carbo or mixed type you might do best on the Cabbage Soup Diet, Somersizing or Protein Power.

My plan is very similar to Protein Power. Although I've typed mixed before, being diabetic overrules it all for me. I cannot tolerate carbs at all or I have to up my meds.

Are you a carbohydrate addict (CA)? You can take the test in the CAD/CALP forum. Many CAs can stall on Atkins due to eating more than 4 times a day or having foods on Atkins that spike insulin levels. Insulin is a fat storer, if your insulin if too high, you won't lose weight. CAD corrects that condition.

I'm definitely a carb addict. However I was unable to do CAD. The reward meal always spiked my blood sugar and Atkins is one of the only plans that I have found that does not do that. My blood sugars are in almost normal ranges without any meds on Atkins. On CAD I had to stay on meds to keep in normal ranges. I don't eat more than 3 times a day on Atkins. Actually I think his only rule on that is to eat every 6 hours.

Hope some of this helped.
You did. You gave me support and things to consider! Thanks a million!
Carla