View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 10:49

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Movie: Brittany Runs a Marathon

Over the weekend, we saw the movie Brittany Runs a Marathon. The story is about an overweight late 20's woman whose doctor tells her she is obese and unhealthy and now is the time to take responsibility for her health. She ends up deciding to do the New York marathon.

As far as movies go for a general movie goer, it was a cute movie about becoming an adult, accepting responsibility for your future and friendship. It is billed as a comedy, though it's more cute than uproariously funny.

For me, a woman who has struggled with weight since 3rd grade, much of it really rang true to the emotional issues. IMO, being "the fat girl" can be as much a psychological issue as it is a scale issue, and remains so even when a normal weight. That mental idea of myself that I developed over the years and still carry around with me affects how I mentally navigate the world.

This movie really addresses that in a way I haven't seen before. I really was emotional for the last third of the movie, because it rang so true to some of my thinking patterns.

My DH, who has only been overweight since maybe his late 30's, liked the movie, but didn't quite experience the same emotional impact I felt. Could also be a male thing too.

Anyway, if you get a chance, you might check it out. It's in theaters now, but it is an Amazon-produced movie, so I would think it will be available there soon.
Sponsored Links