View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-03-19, 13:29

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'll never forget the first time I went supermarket shopping after deciding to try low carb.

When I was a child, my franchise of choice was the Transformers. I got my first toy when I was 6 and began collecting them for a number of years. I fell in love with the original cartoon series and read a few of the comics. Some kids were into GI Joe, others X-Men and so on, but Transformers was my thing.

It was in 1986 when the Transformers cartoon movie came out that I hit peak fanboy. The characters had become closer to me than many of my few RL friends. But there's an extended battle sequence during the early stages of the movie, where several of those characters that meant so much to me were actually killed. For a kid's cartoon, it was actually pretty violent looking back, and certainly traumatic at the time, being one of the very few occasions in my life that watching a movie had brought me to tears.

What it meant for me by the end of it was that the few original characters who had survived would mean so much more to me, and I was so grateful that those precious few had made it through.

And that's pretty much how I felt that day at the supermarket. It was like I was re-living my very own version of the Battle of Autobot City, where so many things that I used to eat were now off limits to me on the basis of the carb count on the label. A whole new round of characters were killed off that day: no more flavoured milk, no more ice cream, no more pizzas, no more pies, no more 2 minute noodles. The death of bread was like the death of Optimus Prime. But I was so grateful for the precious few survivors of my old diet, like chicken, tuna, sausages, and perhaps the most important of all: cheese.

It was definitely a rough ol' time emotionally, just like the movie had been. But by the movie's end, I would come to have made a few new friends, just as I would come to make a whole new group of friends with my WOE going forward. And I've never really looked back since.