View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 18:07

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Well yes, it would seem that homocysteine levels are amazing predictors of artheriosclerosis, with excellent dose-prediction, BUT does that mean it 'causes' it, or does it signal it? If they can show that by just reducing homocysteines significantly reduces the development of plaques and prevents death, then perhaps we can say it causes it. The article does give anecdotal evidence, but a big study needs doing....anyone know if this has been done? I am taking folic acid as my homocysteines were elevated, and it does lower the level...but I have been wondering if this is stopping anything dire or if it is just perhaps killing the messenger... And another question for me is, what is elevating the homocysteine level in the first place? It worries me to take drugs to lower things rather than fixing what elevated them in the first place. As an analogy..If we get elevated white blood cells from infection, we are not taking drugs to lower the number of white blood cells, but to kill the infection that elevated them.

Val