#28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 07:21

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Does he have an online resource about fiber ?? I still have more questions as fiber comes in many forms, like soluable, insoluable....

I googled for the book last night, and found a sample of it on Amazon books - was able to read the first 3 (or was it 4? More?) chapters. So at least that much is available for free online.

Interesting, and I see where fiber is responsible for a lot of problems, but (at least from the limited amount of the book I was able to access online) I'm wondering if at least some of those problems are more a matter of the excessive amount of carbs that are part and parcel of what you need to eat to get the amount of fiber THEY say you need.

For instance, the short paragraph about gall bladder problems in the part I read - that particular paragraph didn't specify fiber, or how it was involved in the formation of gall stones. Maybe fiber has something to do with it, but when I think about it, you need to eat about 3-10 times as many grams of total carbs to get the couple grams of fiber that an apple or slice of whole wheat bread provides. For the total RDA for carbs (300 g) compared to the total g of fiber recommended (30-35), you're talking about nearly 10 times as many total g of carb as fiber. Cut out the carbs, and you're cutting out the vast majority of fiber.

There may have been a lot more evidence in the portion of the book I wasn't able to read though - I may need to download the rest of the book at some point to see what else he has to say about it. I'm not saying that fiber has nothing to do with any of it (particularly when it comes to intestinal problems - that part I wholeheartedly agree with) - but based on what little I was able to read, I think the bigger problem is the sheer amount of carbs you need to swallow in order to get the RDA of fiber, unless you're willing to add bran and metamucil to pretty much everything you eat - and if you do that, you're going to end up with all the intestinal problems he mentioned.