#24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-19, 15:13

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I used to have a once a week free day, I always had nachos. I love butter, cream and fatty meat. Every time I ate nachos I had intense gall bladder pain that would go on a few days. I finally had to cut it out afraid I'd end up having to have surgery.

It seemed to be the change in diet to a ton of carbs with fat that bothered me so much.

I also once received a goody basket at Christmas after about 6 weeks of straight low carb. I ate the fudge that resulted again in intense gall bladder pain.

Maybe the carbs are doing something to the liver that irritates the gall bladder?

You know, this is a really interesting idea, because when I started having the gall bladder problems, I didn't consider what I'd eaten right before to be "high fat", even though the doctors insisted that it was that dastardly high fat meal I'd eaten that caused the problem.

So this is the meal that started the whole ordeal - pork chops (with ALL the visible fat trimmed off - and you know pork has been extremely lean in the last couple decades), some kind of vegetable, probably green beans or brussels sprouts (no butter on them at all), and a biscuit (I have a biscuit cutter that makes them about 1-1/4" in diameter, so it was a really small biscuit.) I think we also had mashed potatoes that night - made with 2% milk, but no butter (or margarine in those days) in them, because DH would always put lots of butter on his potatoes, and I didn't want to kill him by adding any fat to his perfectly healthy, nearly fat free potatoes. So that biscuit would have been the fattiest thing on my plate, since there's fats in the dough, and I would have put some butter on the biscuit.

Honestly, I made a lot fattier meals than that most of the time, even if they were still relatively low fat compared to what I eat now. They were just somewhat lower in carbs than that meal, which was relatively low in fats but high in carbs from the biscuits and potatoes - and yet that's the one that set me off.

To continue on the possibility that high carb is what really causes gall bladder problems, during the week or so wait between the diagnosis of a bad gall bladder and the actual surgery date, I ate zero fat, because I was so scared I'd feel even worse if I ate anything with any fat in it at all. So I ate lots of fat free carbs. I was still hurting though, and about the only thing that helped was constantly sipping on ginger ale, since ginger is supposed to be soothing to the stomach.

I'm now wondering if it was the constant carbs and all the sugar in the ginger ale that kept me hurting that entire time.

Eh, it probably was - wouldn't be the first time doctors have been wrong.