View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 14:33

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default maybe there are food intolerances playing a role, too???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoCH
Amanda thanks for all this info on magnesium! I jumped on the forum this a.m. specifically to look for a post I saw a week ago or so, the poster said she was feeliing muscle fatigue just walking upstairs and I thought she was taking about me. I went LC a few years ago and had the same issue but it was gone in about a week; this time it's been lingering for several weeks and it's getting worse. Instead of that thread I found this one.

This is exactly what I needed to know. I started taking magnesium a few years ago, based on Eades' recommendation, but it eventually was causing long-term diarrhea or near-diarrhea almost daily. I didn't attribute it to the mg because I kept stopping and restarting w/no effect; I think other supplements/prescriptions were contributing to the problem, and last year a nutritional consultant suggested I stop the mg again and this time the results were amazing. I'm nervous about going back on, but I still have the bottle and I was taking mg oxide so this time I'll try a different one. (Apparently the consultant wasn't knowledgeable enough to consider this aspect.)

Going out to buy some this morning. Thanks so much!

Christy

Hi Christy,

Glad you enjoyed my post, too!

Funnily enough, I bumped into a friend of mine in the village where I live who I give magnesium to as a present - she lost her husband when he was only 39 just over a year ago and this is what I do for her as a way of helping her now that she is on her own with three kids aged 11, 9 and 7. After he suddenly died, I suspected that she could be low on magnesium through the stress of things and finally picked up the courage to ask her and, sure enough, she said, yes, she was and got terrible cramps in her legs at night, but the magnesium she was taking didn't agree with her. So now I am her "vitamin dealer"!!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I gave her some of the Mg glycinate I use (the one mentioned in the long post above, that I get from iherb.com, don't forget code ~~~~~~ blah blah blah ) and told her to take 4 tabs a day. This was about a week ago. I saw her today and she said 4 tabs was too much for her and was giving her loose stools. I only saw her briefly so I can't give you more details, but I thought I would pass it on.

In your shoes, I would start with say 200mg per day, spread out, and then work up to your bowel tolerance level, whatever that is.

Alternatively, you can make more of an effort to get Mg-rich water and foods in your diet. I told my friend to try more nuts and seeds, which are very rich in magnesium, too. There are problems with this "delivery form", too, though, but I didn't have time to tell her about soaking nuts and enzyme inhibitors and the like!!!

If you still have trouble, then you might need to start looking at food intolerances. I thought my diarrhoea problem was related to my supplements and tried all sorts of things to try and get my body to absorb the stuff better but nothing seemed to help, I still had the mild diarrhoea problem...

It turned out in the end that I was gluten-intolerant!!! Now that I'm off the gluten, I can take 400mg per day no problem, no problems with the BMs at all!!! So before you blame the Mg supplements, see if ditching gluten helps, or try to locate any other food intolerances - dairy is another one that often causes problems, either casein or lactose. Of course, that might be the case with my friend, too, that she has a food intolerance that she doesn't know about, but I felt I should pass it on.

It seems that it is a case of "your mileage may vary" with these things.

However, in the hundreds of reviews of this particular product on the iherb.com pages, there seems to be general agreement amongst purchasers that this particular kind of magnesium is well tolerated. If not, there is always Mg malate and Mg taurate left to try. Mg citrate and Mg oxide are more suited as laxatives, it seems.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you have the same positive experiences as "WeimieMom"/Betty - or at least something in that direction!

amanda