View Single Post
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 14:07

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Atkin's products, hidden carbs-anybody?

So, now that I've heard (a few times) that Atkin's products contain hidden carbs...I have to ask: how do you know? How did you figure it out?

I'm not saying that you guys are wrong at all...I really hope you CAN explain it to me, so that I can be more aware. But, I have to wonder, why in the world would he, of all people, sell products that would keep HIS diet from working properly? I can see that making a quick buck off of desperate, overweight people that want an easy meal solution would be the first reason you give me, but overall, wouldn't he be hurting his entire practice and philosophy if no one ended up losing weight due to eating his products? It doesn't seem like he would think it would even be worth it because he could make MORE money by having more followers (when people actually lose weight and see results) if he maintains the integrity of his diet and reputation. Again, I can understand why a company such as CarbSolutions would market hidden-carb products..because they are just selling food products and making money off of that alone, hoping to get all those low-carbers out there to buy. But Dr. Atkins, on the other hand, has invested so much time/energy/money/reputation into this way of life, that I don't see why HE would jeopardize all of that by lying to us...he has a lot more to lose than CarbSolutions, etc.

Maybe there is some calculation that you guys are doing with the food nutritional labels that I don't know about, which is telling you that the carbs can't be low??

Also, BostonLou, if you really do think he had a good old-fashioned heart attack due to clogged arteries, don't you feel the need to quit the diet? I don't know if he is telling the truth or not, but I just wondered about your reasoning... All I know is that I feel so much better when I follow his diet, so that has to tell me something about the healthiness of it...