#35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 06:51
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I have gleefully discovered ghee!

Ghee is the traditional Sanskrit word for clarified butter (e.g., butter that has the milk solids and water removed). Having no milk solids, ghee has a longer shelf life and can be heated to much higher temperatures than butter without burning. And, I have found, it is sinfully delicious!

I have known for quite some time that butter, and therefore ghee, is a superior form of saturated fat, and have eaten butter freely in the past. But several months ago, when I started suspecting that I had an intolerance for dairy, I cut out butter too. Boy, have I missed butter!

What I didn't know about ghee is that people with dairy intolerance can eat it. I got a clue about this when I picked up a jar at the HFS and it said "no lactose, no casein." I grabbed a jar, even though it was about $8 a pound ( ) and have been basking in glee! Eggs taste wonderful again! I can't wait to find some good lobster or crab! In the meantime, some jumbo shrimp sauteed in ghee/CO will suffice.

So now I'm going to soon try my hand at making my own ghee. I think I'm just gonna get the less expensive butter at Costco. I would think that with the solids being removed from it, it might not matter whether the butter is organic or not. Maybe I'm deluding myself here, but I think I'll take my chances. I know there's some direction on making ghee in the Paleo board, so I'll look it up when the time is right.

Speaking of dairy fat, here's something else I've incorporated in my diet: homemade half and half yogurt. I did a lot of research and found that fermenting yogurt for at least 24 hours removes all the lactose, as well as the carbs, and may even negate the casein. None of the commercial yogurts are fermented very long. I'm taking all this on faith, and have been eating 6 oz per day for a little while now with no negative results. Half and half is not only less carbs, it ups my fat. I'm looking forward to making some cheese, and using the whey to ferment some vegetables in my new fermenting crock.

Oh my homemade yogurt! Talk about creamy heaven! Every morning, I feel like I've died and gone there! This is the best yogurt I have ever tasted, bar none, Brown Cow and Stoneyfield cream top included! If I were into going commercial, I think I'd be giving these folks a run for their money!

I love yogurt. The reason I want to eat it every day (together with raw, cultured vegetables-not at the same time, mind you ) is because I have candida overgrowth and I'm using these as my probiotics. That's a whole 'nuther story, though!

Lynn: Thanks for the great article. Much food for thought!

Hellistile: How's this for a good comeback? When someone is pushing the sweets at work, just say: "No thanks. That would spoil my appetite for the lard I'm gonna eat later." I think that would make most people's eyes cross! HeHe!

Have a great fat-filled, hunger-free day, everyone!