#24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 07:40

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Doh, I think I get it now... You're hoping to get a reply???

So, here goes:

My personal experience with magnesium supplements does not tally with what gostrydr says at all. I seemed to have no positive effect from taking Mg oxide tablets, the cramps and stiffness didn't go, regardless of how many of the dang things I took. All I got was loose stools.

I have tried various types of magnesium in the meantime and I also had the impression that Mg malate didn't do it for me either. The only ones I have really had any luck with are a product produced by Biocare which is a mix of Mg chloride and taurine and another one I get from iherb.com which is called Mg glycinate. With them I have finally found relief from the night cramps I used to get and also feel calmer, too.

I get the one kind from here:

http://www.thevitaminservice.com/ac...nfo_B18360.html

And the other one is this one:

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-...lets/16567?at=0

The good thing about the Mg chloride is that you can take it before a meal: the chloride in it - apparently - gets split off and made into extra hydrochloric acid which helps you digest. Otherwise, magnesium shouldn't be taken with meals as it will act as an antacid and dilute your stomach acid which will mean you don't digest your food so well.

The way I try to remember to take my Mg is to have a Mg chloride before breakfast and a Mg taurate in the afternoon and before bed. I drink mineral water which has quite a bit of Mg in it, so I really don't need more than that, what with getting Mg in my food, too. I drink Apollinaris Medium - can you get that in France, too?

I hope this helps reduce your confusion a bit. It's maybe a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary) and you'll just have to try things out for yourself. Oh, and drinking alcohol and lots of coffee depletes Mg like nobody's business - which I am afraid to say I know from personal experience...

amanda
The other Brit in Western Europe!!!

Thank you for all the above information Amanda. I don't get leg cramps anymore because I am not following induction anymore.

I'm sorry to have confused the only other Brit in Western Europe but am an addict for using abbreviations.