View Single Post
  #200   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-19, 11:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

High cholesterol absorption by sterol analysis sort of jumps out at me. Most people will not get hypercholesterolemia from eating eggs. Some will. We have to be careful with case studies/anecdotes. I hope the healthful plant-based diet the patient was placed on wasn't high in plant-sterols, that would be pretty stupid and potentially dangerous.

I think due to the efforts of Ivor Cummins and Dr. Davis etc., keto dieters are probably at least somewhat more likely to ask their doctor about getting a calcium score done than the general population. We have more data points than this one.

Quote:
Concern about data from epidemiologic studies reporting on diets described as low-carbohydrate has been expressed due to an association with higher mortality rates.

Lol at this... Kahn has been in discussion with enough low carb advocates to stick in that "described as low carbohydrate." We all know when it comes to epidemiology, that does not mean actually low carbohydrate. Generally it means the sort of high fat, but not all that low in carbohydrate diet that almost everybody agrees sucks.

Even exercise in excess has been associated with increases in calcification.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6179497/

Quote:
Background
Long-term marathon running improves many cardiovascular risk factors, and is presumed to protect against coronary artery plaque formation. This hypothesis, that long-term marathon running is protective against coronary atherosclerosis, was tested by quantitatively assessing coronary artery plaque using high resolution coronary computed tomographic angiography (CCTA) in veteran marathon runners compared to sedentary control subjects.

Methods
Men in the study completed at least one marathon yearly for 25 consecutive years. All study subjects underwent CCTA, 12-lead electrocardiogram, measurement of blood pressure, heart rate, and lipid panel. A sedentary matched group was derived from a contemporaneous CCTA database of asymptomatic healthy individuals. CCTAs were analyzed using validated plaque characterization software.

Results
Male marathon runners (n = 50) as compared with sedentary male controls (n = 23) had increased total plaque volume (200 vs. 126 mm3, p < 0.01), calcified plaque volume (84 vs. 44 mm3, p < 0.0001), and non-calcified plaque volume (116 vs. 82 mm3, p = 0.04). Lesion area and length, number of lesions per subject, and diameter stenosis did not reach statistical significance.

Of course people who run marathons are going to be eating more (probably) compared to a weight-matched control. I wonder about long runs fueled by fructose-goop.