Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%
Default Non-meat protein sources

Non-Meat products I am trying out:

Morningstar soy "bacon: Yuk! Tastes like a piece of thin foam rubber with a picture of real bacon printed on it! I absolutely could not eat this stuff. However it was pretty good crumbled and sprinkled on top of a salad or in an omelet (mainly because it has bacon flavoring added to it), so it does have SOME redeeming quality. I think I will forego these however and just use BACO bacon bits.

Soy "nuts": These are great, but like other crunchy things I have to be careful not to eat too many. Surprised me that they are not totally fat-free.

Veggie dogs: Mmm, not bad at all. Tastes about as good as a beef or pork hot dog. However, much to my surprise they had wheat in them! I will post a report on different brands and their ingredients later.

So far these are all I have tried except for firm tofu which I like with stir-fried veggies and have eaten for years. I will report on the various types of tofu and brands in a later post.

ps: I have found the best places in my area to buy these products are:

Krogers (also has very good produce)
Giant Eagle (EXCELLANT produce section)
Whole Foods Market (most expensive & about 20 miles from where I live)
Wild Oats (also expensive and about 20 miles away)
Wal-Mart has practically zip except for some Morningstar products (although pretty good produce)
Sponsored Links