View Single Post
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Caveat: We need a separate forum for this but I ned to respond to all the accusations

I was trying to imply by "children starving etc etc" all the ills of the world caused by all the things you mention Bailey. It sounds simplistic if taken at face value but I was using the phrase as a metaphor for evrything else. That we do over consume and waste things, life, unnecessarily.

Likewise, I use MacDonalds as a symbol that people within affluent Western culture can relate to as being a corporation that encourages unhealthy eating and hence life style, wastefullness, eg the zillions of junky plastic toys and packaging leading to increased landfill; greed, look at the advertising, stereotyping ; 'typical happy' families which exclude all the other choices and realities of families and living arrangements these days - gay, single, celibate etc and who harass primary school children with "MacDonald's Days" that sell junky hamburger and fries lunches to 5 year olds to raise money for schools that should be provided by more responsible, quality of education minded governments.

These are only tip of the iceberg things. I don't read propaganda, this is just what I have observed. No doubt there are corporations better and worse than Maccas but it's not the place to go into all this.

Yes I've been back and forth across the world between Italy, England and Australia in 'cattle class', which is a 24 hour flight one way. Of course it's uncomfortable, but then it's economy and considerably more so than it was 20 years ago. At least there's no smoking on board any more.

Wider seats would be nice but they are not necessary. You don't expect airlines to provide more leg room for all the very tall people, or lower head rests for all the very short people;.

Physical variables are so many, airlines provide for the average and indeed they have increased the size of seats somewhat on par with the shifting average but do you expect, or want them to provide special extra large seats for the "large/overweight/obese/metabolically challenged" people.
Certainly it would be more convenient and comfortable for both the people who need these seats and those sitting next to them, but at what cost?
And should coaches and buses and trains do the same?And resturantsand bars? What about bar stools?
Iam not discriminating against the very fat. It is just a matter of public transport and other systems doing the best they can for a diverse population.
Iknow it's not overeating and I can't see, reading my original post, how you managed to construe this. As I've said, MacDs is a symbol for all that I see as being wasteful, unhealthy overconsuming and trashy in the !st world.
Enough said.