#22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 11:09

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
The thing is, it's tougher to stay off plan when you are here everyday talking with people that are working their plan. It keeps me focused.

I gotta agree with that wise woman Val, although for slightly different reasons. When I returned to low carbing it was with a dieter's mindset; in other words, I thought about the diet as a weight loss tool and nothing more. When I stumbled on this place and started reading, I saw people, over and over again, who were failing. They were no dumber, had no weaker wills that I was/did, but they weren't hacking it, just as I hadn't hacked it in the past. And after reading probably thousands of posts, and doing some soul searching, I came to the conclusion that I really had to accept that if I was going to do this, I had to change the way I thought about it -- it can't be a diet, it has to be a commitment, a fundamental change in the way I looked at myself and the world. Eating junk food is not a treat, but the first step on the road to self abuse; I'm not "sacrificing" or "missing out on" anything to do this; rather, I would be sacrificing my health and well being if I didn't do it, and so on. The road has its ups and downs, but really it's much smoother than the one I travelled on before. All the fat in the world couldn't cushion the bumps on that road.

Anyway, this place helps me to stay focused on this as an eating plan, not a diet. I've also learned a few tricks here about cooking and so on. The stuff on the science of low carbing helps a lot, too; it took what I instinctively knew to be true, that I had terrible eating habits, and explained to me why that was so, and once you know why, you've taken the first step in figuring out how to change things.