View Single Post
  #29   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 23:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Demi, thanks for the link to Doreen's post. That was the one I was trying to remember. I started eating a fair amount of full-fat yogurt based on the Dr. Eades claim during OWL (1/2 cup with breakfast almost every day, and unsparingly in dinners and salads) and have also never noticed any adverse effects.

I do not think that any of us are doomed to regaining, unless we buy into the standard nutritionists' mantra that fat is forbidden and it's OK to eat simple white starches and low-fat foods. As Bowden said, "fat is not the enemy." Yes, transfats are evil. And I don't load my plate with saturated fats (though I'd much rather have a pat of butter than a tsp of sugar.) The unsaturated fats are good for you, and a little bit of fat for a snack (a few almonds, a bit of cheese) will sate the appetite for hours. Invariably, when someone trying Atkin's tells me that they're hungry all the time, it's because they are trying to do LC and low fat. Big mistake.

Quote:
Is it possible to maintain over the long run? Clearly, the answer is yes. But the effort takes constant attention, little tweaks to diet and behavior, and a real desire to be successful. There are many people in the world who eat diets that don’t conform to SAD norms. Each one of these people proves that various types of dietary formulas can be sustained permanently if they are important enough to the individual.

Yes, it takes constant attention. Is this surprising? Excelling at anything takes constant attention, whether it be a sport, intellectual achievement, or perfecting an omelette. It is a journey, and it does require that we change our habits. It's not a "diet." It is, truly, a change in our way of life. The Standard American Diet is a formula for failure.

But the formula for success does seem to vary individually. Atkins works for me, SB works for Judy, and I'm sure other maintaners all have their own tweaks. One thing I think has been crucial for me is being brutal about what works and not making exceptions. It makes for the occasional social awkwardness, but no, I don't have to eat a piece of chocolate cake just because it's your birthday.