#12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone,

In reply to the Hummus question...on the Insulin Resistance Diet you are allowed legumes and don't have to count them. This is because they are high in protein and fiber and have a low glycemic index. This was but one of many factors that sold me on this eating plan, especially since I am a vegetarian. ( I know on Sugarbusters you are allowed lots of legumes as well).

So on my plan I can eat my hummus and have pita bread too, making sure the amount I eat balances out to the carb/protein ratio the diet recommends.

If you are really cutting carbs way back, of course legumes are out. Some folks do interesting things with black soybeans which have a ton of fiber and low carb count. But honestly, garbanzo beans (which are used in hummus), have such a rich buttery flavor, I doubt if the taste would be similar.

As far as soda, I don't drink much sugar free soda, using the brands made with Splenda if I do. One interesting thing some folks do is mix up the Davinci sugarfree syrups with club soda and even cream, and make what are called "Italian sodas." I've never done that, but sounds interesting.

Hope this helped a little. Sorry about the hummus...I would feel very deprived if I couldn't eat some hummus and pita now and then, that's why I like the Insulin Resistance Diet. I don't feel deprived.