View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 06:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Second reading, and now I feel like a scientist! My morning reading was .008, which was lower than the 0.13. I see now that other commenters have had the same experience.

Truth be told, I had a portion of watermelon for dinner, since we lucked into a rare good one, and that's not easy to find here in the Frozen North I had previously not had any hunger problems with fruit as a dessert after a high fat meal, so that's kind of my racetrack of experimentation right now. I rarely wander outside of berries in any case.

So: I'm still in ketosis, and that's great

One thing I had not run across in the reviews and sales page: the mouthpieces are meant to be used 10-15 times and then replaced. Which is not unreasonable, especially since it's cited as both a hygiene and a calibration issue. They give you five to start with.

My engineer brain section approves of the whole thing. You flip out this sturdy block on the side and put the mouthpiece on it. Yes, one side is square and one is round so you don't fumble it! That's fine design Seems to be standard in the breathmeter industry. That and two AA batteries are the extent of the replaceables.

I figure it will be like my Keto app on my iPad: play with it constantly for a month or so, and once I learn the rules of this new setup, I need it less. Like the app, it can spring back into action at a moment's notice.

And really, I need data. I used a glucose meter for a few weeks to test my response to meals when I got into Atkins, and this is the same kind of good data feedback.

Recently read a blog post by a women reminded people that if they start to feel not as sharp and energetic while on keto; they probably aren't in ketosis. She thought she was, but carb drift had taken her out. It's worth the $50 just to head that one off, since I am still recovering, and may for a while yet. I hope, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
The highest I’ve seen is when I’ve had a lot fatty meat, almost enough to make me nauseated and it was 1.1. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not at all stressed or discouraged about it, but I do wonder why. I’ve been keto adaptated for at least 2 years and low carb for much longer than that. So, maybe my body has become efficient at using the ketones for energy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The observation by Bikman based on his N=1 measurements and research is very interesting in that he challenges the 0.5-5.0 assumption as proof of ketosis and wonders whether those who have been in ketosis on a regular basis are more efficient at using them; therefore, a lower measurement is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zX3tfuKIlo

This make total sense to me, since it's the way the body works with everything else, isn't it? Ruthless efficiency.