View Single Post
  #469   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 15:22

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 251/203/182 Female 5ft 6.5inch
BF:
Progress:

My story starts in January this year when I together with others on a forum started a private facebook page to support each other with whatever diet programme we were following. I was 'eating less' as per Gillian Riley's excellent book but in March I faltered and began eating too much carbs (particularly the sugary kind) and felt frustrated because yet again I was a failure and beginning to regain the weight I had lost. However, at that time I read an article written by Gillian where she recommended a couple of books she rates highly. One was Gary Taubes "Why we get Fat". I bought it on my kindle. Wow! It all made sense to me.

In the past I had read about Low Carbing but didn't pursue it because I didn't want to limit carbs. This time however, with a reasonable weight loss already since March that was in danger of being ruined by eating too much again, I was finally ready to commit.

I was scared, I wondered how on earth I would cope in the face of carbs being everywhere; in the home, at work, supermarkets, TV adverts, magazine adverts, internet adverts, cookery programmes (I love). I would feel deprived, miserable, hungry...

As it happened, I didn't feel any of that at all. I mainly felt (and still feel) relief, total relief that at last I have come home. At last I am comfortable eating at home, eating out at friends, in restaurants, on holiday. I love LCHF eating! Yummy proteins cooked with yummy butter, my own home made mayo to make yummy coleslaw, crisp green veg roasted with olive oils. What's not to like. And bacon, Mmmmm, bacon. Every day.

I eat much less now. Never breakfast. Sometimes lunch, always dinner. No snacks. Lots of sparkling water. Lots of herbal teas, occasional tea with milk. Occasional coffee with double cream.

I miss the emotional attachment I had to the sugary carbs for sure. But I don't miss the terrible misery I got after gorgeing on them, and the discomfort I felt; bloated, breathless, weak.

I recently came back from a cruise and Low Carbed throughout, with no difficulty whatsoever. A miracle. Also, its the summer holidays here and I am off work for 7 weeks. This usually heralds overeating and over drinking (alcohol). Not this time.

Finally, I have been reading about type 2 diabetes, but also crucially about type 3 diabetes; Alzheimers. I have had a great fear of this disease since I watched my dear grandad suffer from it for three years. It was devastating for him, but also for me and my family. I fear it is my future but until researching LCHF never made the connection between reducing my chances of getting it and diet. For that reason alone (let alone reducing my body fat%, so far from 50% to 40%) I will continue this way of eating (WOE). I am here to stay.