View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 20:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Miss Pi - I couldn't think how it would work, and was sad because I am quite fond of liver dumplings as I have eaten them in Germany. But then I ran across a recipe on a German site, and it works quite well. I make the dumplings smaller than they do in Bavaria, so they cook quicker, and have less chance of falling apart. If interested I will make a translation effort, and post the recipe.
Barb - My mother always treated the chicken livers as the "treat" for the cook, and I follow her example. That was back in the day when the "interesting bits" came in a bag in the cavity. Do they still do that? Not in organic birds, anyway. My mother, and I, would fry a bit of onion and garlic in butter, then add the liver, pepper, & a bit of salt, and fry till browned outside but still a bit pink inside. From one or two birds it's just a nice snack for the cook.
Bonnie - I've never tried brains. By the time I felt I was willing the Mad Cow thing had reached the news. I understand though, from perusing old & foreign cookbooks, that they are often cooked with scrambled eggs, having apparently a similar texture. I would think with rabbits one wouldn't need to worry over much about Mad Cow :-)