Old Mon, Mar-19-12, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: vegan lowcarb (self-made)
Stats: 178/172/160 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banting
I have gone back to 20g carbs per day for a while, so our diets are very different in that respect.

Wow, that is really low. I get 15 just from the seeds, and I'm not willing to ditch them (minerals!), so I would not be willing to go to 20. I was doing some math last night and I think if I really wanted to, I could get down to about maybe 40 or so and still get all my vitamins and minerals, but no lower. And even going down to 40 would force less variety and further dependence on protein powder.

Quote:
I think that if you increased the running miles, you would lose your weight in no time.

I do plan to increase my miles, probably this week. While I'm getting my diet squared away, I'm still working out with weights three times a week, and that takes priority over running for me. I just need to see how my energy levels and recovery times seem to do on this new diet. I'm specifically concerned about my glycogen stores. I don't want to be "wasting" my glycogen on running if it means that I won't be able to lift with as much intensity.

Quote:
running is best restricted to half marathons at the maximum in my view, because of the danger of damaging your joints.

Agreed. I think running becomes a game of diminishing returns after you get to the point where you just feel like you have to keep upping your daily or weekly mileage. A 5k or two a week is all I need, with an occasional 5 miler thrown in just for a occasional challenge.

Quote:
I found your info on nuts, seeds etc. very interesting, as I too like to get my nutrition from natural sources as much as possible and prefer to avoid vitamin tablets.

I'm now a big proponent of them for vegetarians and vegans, especially if you're also doing any kind of carb restriction. I just haven't yet seen an alternative way to get the required V&M. It's a little easier if you're vegetarian, but still... how much egg and cheese can a person really eat? And even if you rely primarily on eggs and cheese, you're still probably going to be low on a lot of the B vitamins as well as nearly all the mineral (iron, potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc - although you'd probably be okay on calcium) I also like the simplicity/digestibility of drinking ground seeds.

Quote:
I live in Spain and food generally is plentiful and cheap here but vegetarian food is a bit more difficult to find here and vegan food is even more problematic.

Man, I would love to visit Spain! I just recently got back from India, and it's piqued my curiosity for all world travel.

My philosophy toward eating vegan is that it should be affordable and that it should rely as much as possible on whole foods and "normal" foods. Nutritional yeast and pea protein powder are a little bit "weird" I guess (and pea protein isn't exactly a whole food), but virtually everything else I eat is a food that has been eaten by some culture somewhere for millenia. Seeds, legumes, greens, some vegetables and tubers and oil.

Can you purchase flax, sesame and sunflower seeds in bulk where you live? how about nutritional yeast and kale and/or turnip greens? The addition of even small amounts of any of these things would boost your V&M intake.