Old Sat, Mar-19-16, 15:18
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%
Default 10K Training Day 1 - BASELINE

March 12 - copied from my Journal

I went out to our local middle school track and started day 1 of training for the Richmond Monument Avenue 10K run. I have 4 weeks until race day. That is not much time, but I can do a 10K walking with no problem. Between now and then I'm going to try and see if I can get into jogging shape. If today is any indication, it just may happen.

I did a little reading up on the subject and every training plan calls for one day on, one day off for the first few weeks. That is what I plan on doing. Today I did a full 10K and I pushed it pretty hard. I wanted to get a baseline and see where I'm at. I didn't really know what to expect. My legs are a little rubbery after the fact, but all-in-all I think it went pretty well for my first jog in nearly 30 years. Here is what I did...

Ate breakfast (eggs & sausage) and drank 32oz of water
Drove to the track and stretched my legs.
Started the workout - alternating walking and jogging

Mile 1 to mile 4.5: alternated walking 3.5 mph and jogging 5.2 mph, 1/2 mile each

Mile 4.5 to 5.5: jogged the entire mile at 5.2 mph

Mile 5.5 to 6.2 alternated walking and jogging with each 1/4 mile lap.

Duration: 85 minutes -- average speed 4.3 mph

Jogging is not walking, that's for sure. It was a cool day and I had not sweat like that since the summer of 2014 when I first started walking. I was definitely full cardio, too. I could feel that little tingle you get in those fatty parts of your body that don't often get good blood flow. This was a workout. It reminded me of those huffing & puffing days on the first day of football practice. My leg muscles were tired by the end, but all-in-all I feel pretty good. I drank plenty of water afterward (with a little salt mixed in) and drank 30g of protein in a LC protein shake. Now I'll just have to wait and see how I feel tomorrow.