View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-20, 11:31

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

We always had snacks around too (from the late 50's through about 1970), mainly because my mother (who had excellent self control [Read: she didn't have excessive insulin issues, causing her to become ravenous]) liked certain snacks.

There was always a big cookie jar with plenty of cookies. There were always crackers (mostly saltines, and graham crackers, but in later years, also other types such as triscuits) available too.

Mom baked a cake at least once a week, so we usually had dessert after dinner. If we ran out of cake, and she didn't get another one made, ice cream was available for dessert. At one point in my teens, I remember very excitedly telling someone we'd had strawberry shortcake (my favorite) for dinner the night before. That person pointed out to me that was dessert, and asked what we'd had for dinner. I'm sure we had some kind of meat, veg, and potato, which was very typical of our meals, and I'm sure I ate it (because: no dessert until you've eaten your dinner) but I couldn't remember what it was, and didn't care about anything other than the strawberry shortcake.

Mom always had a bag or two of potato chips in the cabinet - she'd get out a small handful of them to eat with her lunch. I don't recall how many I ate, but I know it was far more than she ate, and of course I still wanted more, but was too embarrassed to ask for more. I'm sure I sneaked some chips in between meals.

Mom would have jelly or jam on bread at every meal - just a little schmear of it on a piece of bread. At least she still exercised great control over how much junk she consumed until the last few years of her life, when the dementia/alzheimers was more in control of her actions, at which time she'd really glob the jelly/jam on the bread as thickly as possible.

I don't know if friends during the 60's had more or less snacks and sweets around or not - I certainly felt like they did, because I knew people who lived in town, or near a little candy store, and they talked about buying such things as Moon Pies, Twinkies, candy bars, and chips from the corner store on their way home from school or the park, or at the concessions stand at the swimming pool, and there was always ice cream available in the school cafeteria, which many of them bought every single day (not me though - I only had enough money to buy lunch, which normally already included something for dessert). But for all I know, like Bawdy they might have very rarely ever had snacks available at home, and might not have had dessert after dinner either, so it's entirely possible that they were eating a lot less junk and snacks than I was.