Thread: Singapore
View Single Post
  #31   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 10:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/170/130
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hey Fumih, good to know that I'm not alone in noticing the weird ketone scent. It's not that I sniff my armpits all the time or anything (haha!) ... it's just that the scent can be pretty strong. Yes, especially now that the weather here is soooooooo hot! It's particularly stronger when you sweat alot (and I do!). SInce I can't find Ketostix here to test the ketones in urine, I use the strange BO scent as a sign that my body is in ketosis (I might be wrong, but hey, I've never smelt like this before LC ).

Actually, I don't consume alot of sweeteners either (and neither do I crave for it). In fact, the box of Splenda I've got is still unopened. I guess I don't need it for now. I like to drink Chinese tea or unsweetened decaf tea (I found one that is decaffeinated naturally, Lipton). I don't like coffee but I do enjoy an occasional Diet Root Beer or Coke Light. I found out today that the Diet Snapple drink has only 1g carbs per bottle (the regular Snapple bottle). I thought that was a pretty good deal except that it contains aspartame. The Diet Swiss Miss however is sweetened by Splenda.

Can't you find pork rinds in Sg? I thought probably you can find that easily. If I want to enjoy meaty treats like that, I'd have to make it myself. Hey, you can find popcorn here too, couldn't you? heehee

Rina, Atkins hasn't started exporting their products internationally so far ... well, I mean to retailers outside US. That's why we can't find Atkins products here. YOu can buy them directly from the website and they will send to you but you can guess that it's VERY costly. Firstly, everything is in US dollars, secondly, the shipping charges are pretty high. I was tempted to get some of the stuff, but I thought the better of it. We can make use of alot of food items here which is low in carbs. We just need to do more work than our friends in the US .... we need to research on which are the ones and find out if they are REALLY low carb. I know sometimes it's nice to have some LC bread or pasta or cookies, but I think the whole point of this WOE is actually to get our body used to eating better and stop craving for those food items totally.

After looking at some forum boards, I found out that many recipes for LC cakes and cookies and muffins use soy flour, or wheat gluten, or almond flour, etc instead of white flour (for obvious reasons!). I've never tried any of the recipes yet and they DO look YUMMY!. At this point, I just don't have the desire to make sweetie treats like that. I'd still like to train my body into adapting the healthier way of eating. But once I'm out of Induction, I might try some of the recipes!

BTW, Rina, have you read any of the LC books out there?
Sponsored Links