View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 05:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Ron, rightfully raises a few questions.

When I first started with diabetes I found that diet (low to medium carb) and exercise could control my glucose quite well.

I am definitely insulin resistant. Are you? What doses are you taking of your basal insulin? What is the ratio of units to carbs for your Novolog. I used the Novolog pen and Levemir pens for well over a year.

As Dr. Bernstein would say I was injecting industril dosages Levemir 40 units in the AM and 40 units in the PM. I needed 1 unit of Novolog per 5-6 carbs.

If you stick to small numbers of carbs at each meal you will do fine.

However, you will have a tendency to enjoy a large carb meal now and then as you have already stated. This is where it can get risky with how much Novolog to inject and this is where you will start to experience lows that you never experienced before since you will take liberties.

Thus, I always had glucose tabs in my pocket.

Now, since you are near ideal weight you probably do not have the same dosages. You probably need a lot less. You probably have to be very careful with the Novolog pen I would suspect. 1 unit of Novolog may in fact be a lot for you. You will discover this.

I don't know if you have Dr. B's book. He had a lot of good information on the use of insulin as well; just a thought.

My best A1C was with insulin 5.2.

Here you are with 5.3 prior to going on insulin. I would think you were doing quite well, no organ damage, good control.

I thought about the give the pancreas a rest. Quite frankly, what gives the pancreas a rest in the low carb diet.

Best wishes,

Ralph