View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

We have been using coenzyme Q10 for years in my family. We take it to prevent colds and upper resperitory infections. My husband is asthmatic and used to end up in the emergency ward every time he had a cold. That ended when he started taking Coq10. I've seen it clear up pneumonia too. I used it5 to get rid of a chronic sinus problem. It's an immune system builder. I used to get sick with colds all the time--now they are rare and if I do get sick, it's only a day or two at the most. Usually when I feel a scratchy throat, it disappears before it turns into a sore throat and cold.

CoQ10 is a naturally occuring enzyme found in high concentrations in all the smooth muscle tissue in the body. The highest concentration is in the heart. It's been used for angina and all sorts of heart conditions. People with gum disease show lower than normal levels of CoQ10 in gum tissue and the supplement has had good results there too.

I won't repeat all the stuff people have already said, which is all true. I heard in Japan they call it the longevity vitamin because they believe it not only lengthens the life span, but it increases the quality of life. As we grow older our production if CoQ10 decreases, so a supplement is a good idea even if it were only for the antioxident factor.

Personally, I take it every year from fall to spring to prevent colds and flu. I recommend it to all my friends, who have had similar experiences. If you do get sick, double or triple the dose, and it's gone before you know it. But usually it works as a preventative for me and I don't have to do that.

Linda