View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 04:42

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quasimodo, I hit menopause in my mid-thirties. As an octogenarian now, I am definitely a turtle.

I found the New Atkins for a New You an expanded version of the last Atkins. It is based upon clinical research as well as clinical findings. (All 3 are clinician/researchers.) They give expanded explanations for every step and encourage self experimentation to find what works for you rather than a one-size-fits-all recommendation. It does not promise quick results and does allude to the turtle phenomena especially for women and the elderly. They do not go into detail, however.

I found it a helpful "next generation." Atkins, like the Eades, wrote his book based on his clinical experience. Westman, Volek and Phinney have been testing Atkins in clinical trials over 10 years now and their revision of Atkins is based upon their findings and the published work of other low carb scientists since 2007. Atkins did not have this data when he wrote his books. So far he has been proved right consistently.

The Westman et al version gives good information on the range of responses to Atkins. They do not go into Leptin theory at all but stay with ketosis and their findings around that. I found it helpful and recommend it highly.