Thread: blood work
View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 11:50

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

You may not be doing anything wrong with your Atkins. have you read the section on cholesterol in the new edition of DR ATKINS' NEW DIET REVOLUTION?
If not read it and see if it applies to you. There are several things you can do to lower your LDL and raise your HDL listed in the book.

If you are doing all that and still getting high LDL and total cholesterol then you may be one of those with bad genes. Some of us are genetically predisposed to create high cholesterol as our bodies are prolific at making cholesterol. If you are one of us then you can lower the LDL without the meds if you'd like by lowering the amount of saturated fats you eat in your Atkins WOE and substitute the healthy mono and poly saturated fats and foods DR Atkins lists in DANDR. Check what you are eating and see if this will apply to you.

I persuaded my doc to hold off on the meds in Dec 2002 and give me 3 months to try lowering the LDL with diet staying on Atkins all the time. In March 2003 my total was under 200 and my LDL was down 93 points doing the lower sat fats but staying Atkins. This past Sept it was even better despite my HDLs being up to 76 (those are the good ones). Sorry I don't know the Canadian equivalent for that. My ratio TC/HDL was 2.53 and we were both very happy. I hold my saturated fats as close to under 20 mg a day as I can. Some days I'm a little over. I had to cut back on cheese, dairy and processed meats but I can still have a lean cut of beef when I want it.