#28   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 12:08

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
I've been trying to add more liver to my diet lately. Beef liver was $1.99/lb, but the chicken liver was $3.29! That's more than chicken thighs! To be fair, the chicken liver was from the regional organic producer, and their chicken is usually $4–$5/lb. But that's all the store had. I bought it anyway, because I don't need to tightly control my food budget right now and my goal is adding more healthful things.

I made pâté with the chicken liver and you only need a stick or so of butter and some seasonings for 1/2 lb. of liver. So, maybe $1.50 for the butter, $1.65 for the liver, and say another $1.50 worth of flavorings including salt, pepper, herbs, and liquor (pâté is usually flavored with some brandy or sherry and you need something like that to balance the fat and rich liver flavor). All in, that's $4.65 for four servings--or $1.20 serving. Protein isn't super high, but the fat content will give you tons of energy to keep going (about 9g protein and 40g fat in a serving). I eat it with celery, which is cheap. Maybe add some baby dill pickles to have a tart balance with the richness.

The ones I buy are conventionally raised, which is why they're so inexpensive. Of course if it fits in your food budget to buy organic, that's great!

Just thinking about them sounds really good to me, so I think it may be time to buy another carton of them soon.