#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-16, 07:12

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default "What are you eating?" and living with parents again

Does anyone else hate this question?

I absolutely do, and, as I've had to temporarily move back in with my parents, I've been running into it again.

At first I slipped back into the tactic I used in high school and give an irritatingly non-informative answer "a snack" etc.
Two problems with that, though...
1. Then and now neither my parents nor siblings get the hint. They just keep asking follow up questions. "Yes, but what is it?"
2. I know that's a very juvenile thing to do, so I really don't want to do it anymore.

I tried just politely asking that they not comment about my food, and it didn't go very well. My answers was that they really don't care.

I didn't say anything in response, but...if they don't care why do they keep pushing? Or why ask in the first place?

The bigger problem is that this comes from a background of deep seated issues with food that I've only recently made progress on, and I'm truly afraid of backsliding. I'm in recovery from binge eating disorder. I also have bad associations from my childhood with that question. Remember that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding:
Girl: (wrinkles nose) "What's that?!"
Toula: "It's moussaka"
Girl: (gasp) "Moose kaka?"
Classmates: (giggle, giggle, giggle)

Yeah...I lived that scene a few times as a kid.

I don't know when I'll be moving out. I'm starting a new job and hopefully will get my first paycheck in January. However, my parents actually want me to stay as long as possible. They've told me as much in those exact words. The reason is that they're worried about where the economy will go in the next few years and want me to save as much money as I can...I guess they figure that since they have space for me it makes sense for everyone for me to live there and everyone share costs of food, etc. rather than me paying rent somewhere else. The problem is I'm not sure that plan is the healthiest thing for me emotionally because they obviously just do not get how loaded a question that kind of thing is for me.

I can remember getting actual anxiety if someone saw me coming out of the kitchen with food or a drink and I just be praying I could make it past without being asked THAT question. It, I'm sure, contributed to me developing the habit of eating in secret, and I'm really scared of falling back into that.
Sponsored Links