View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: semi-lowcarb
Stats: 242/199/170 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I had this problem - hard-core keto stopped working for me (probably due to increased cortisol), I felt like crap, and I had to add some carbs back in.
I wasnt satiated with too little carbs either no matter how much I upped the fat, and then I started GAINING since I was eating so many calories.
I was low carb and in and of keto for a VERY long time and I think it probably wasnt good for me.

What is working for me now is this:
.7 g - 1 g protein per lb of lean body mass (for me 90-100 g)
12 g UNREFINED starchy carbs at each meal (sweet potatos, brown rice, carrots, beets)
6 g UNREFINED starchy carbs at each snack (2 max, usually 1).
Not much added fat but not going insane trying to avoid it either. splash of heavy cream in coffee or small amt of butter or olive oil per meal has been fine. I also use a normal amt of salad dressing. I also have cream cheese on a few rice crackers as a snack sometime.
Calorie counting to max calories of 1500/day.
No sugar, especially liquid sugar (I'm lookin' at you, maple syrup LOL. Maybe you can freeze it?)
Not much alcohol, glass of wine once every 3 weeks or so.

I'm not counting the carbs in green vegetables like lettuce or broccoli or green beans so the total count of net carbs is probably around 60-80/day when you factor those in.

I feel better, the weight started coming off again, and I'm down 43 lbs since February. I hit Onederland yesterday but am back up a lb today grrrr.

Also you need exercise, being completely sedentary probably wont work with this. I found that I exercised better once I started adding carbs back in and now I'm up to easily walking 3 miles a day.

Add a little sweet potato to each meal (1/2 cup max) or 1/4 cup of brown rice and see how it goes then adjust up or down from there.
Also I think you have to lower the fat as you up the carbs or else it screws things up.

I also cant eat carbs by themselves as I get hypoglycemic so I have to have them only with protein and fat.

Honestly, when it worked on me before 10 years ago keto was easier as I didnt have to measure portions and count calories but I'm older now and things have apparently changed.

Good luck!
LQ