View Single Post
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:49

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
thank you all and i wont take up any more of your time about this way of eating and my obsession with foods and diet hopping.
NO!!! That's exactly what you shouldn't do, unless you plan to fail. Everyone needs support when doing something as challenging as changing your way of life. That's what this board is for.

Okay, willbthin, I'm about to lay some tough love on you. This is fair warning; if you don't want to hear what I have to say, stop reading right now, 'cause I'm taking off the kid gloves.

Still here? Good.
  1. As Lloyd Dobler said in the movie Say Anything, "You must chill. You must chill." You change diets more often than some people change underwear. Right now, right this minute, take a deep breath. No, I'm serious. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Now another. RELAX. Take it one day at a time.
  2. Stop telling yourself that you can't commit, that you will fail. Because that IS what you've been telling yourself—and us. As Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right." It's not true, anyway. You CAN commit; right now, for whatever reason, you are making the choice not to do so.
  3. That leads me to my next point. Why do you want to lose weight? That's not a rhetorical question, by the way. Do you want to be healthier? Have a better social life? Thumb your nose at your sister who's always been thin and lords it over you? Whatever the reason, it needs to be YOUR reason. This won't work if you're doing it for someone else, or just because you think you should. You really have to want it. If you don't really want it, that's okay too. It's your life. For a long time, I preferred eating what I wanted and not exercising to losing weight. My life; my choice.
  4. You say you have tried all (I assume you mean LC) eating plans three times. If you have tried them the way you have tried CAD, the plans have not failed; you have. No plan could possibly work within a few days. That doesn't mean you will continue to fail (many people have failed to lose weight on other plans before finding one that worked for them), but you have to accept responsibility and give whatever plan you try a chance to work without using one non-plan meal as an excuse to give up—because honestly, that's what you're doing now.
  5. One more time: if you really don't want to lose weight right now, that's okay. It doesn't make you a bad person. It doesn't make you lazy. It doesn't mean you will always be this way. (I decided for years that I'd rather be fat than lose weight. Lots of us have.) We won't like you any less if you decide you have other priorities in your life. If you decide you want to lose weight, though, you have to want it more than you want immediate gratification, more than you want to stuff down your feelings with bread or chocolate, more than you want popcorn and Coke at the movies, more than you want to eat whatever you want for whatever your personal reasons are. And you have to quit allowing one meal to be your excuse to give up. AND you have to realize it won't happen overnight.
We all want to help you. Really we do. I guarantee that your situation is so frustrating for some of us that we truly would do it for you if we could, but we just can't. All we can do is encourage and mentor you.