Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
I'm another one who rarely eats processed lunch meats any more, because of the high sodium content. But .. I did have some Shopsy's smoked beef about a month ago .. it's one of the products recalled a few days ago, as a precaution.

It sounds as though the majority of victims have been elderly and/or already quite ill with something else, in a nursing home or hospital. On a local radio phone-in show on this topic, a woman called in to say that she'd had listeriosis a few years ago, and obviously survived just fine.

Just my opinion, but I think most healthy folks walking around don't have much to worry about. Still .. I can understand people being worried, especially parents who may have served hot dogs and sandwiches to their kids, made with meats that are now recalled.

Doreen

Cooking to 'steaming hot' (i.e., "food safe temps") kills the stuff; hence hot dogs should not be eaten raw. Deli meats, well, those are often eaten raw.

And it's true, those at risk are the elderly, the young, pregnant women (who may have strong systems, but nobody in their right minds wants to take a chance) and those with compromised immune systems.

The tricky thing with this bug (and I've actually "had" it, along with non-symptomatic e. coli invasion) is that it grows quite happily at fridge temperatures -- unlike many bugs, outside the "danger zone" -- and is not killed by freezing. COOKING, yes.

Hope this helps. We are not helpless, and we can help others by being informed and vigilant.