View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 20:14
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I'd definitely add the b-complex supplement, and it wouldn't hurt to take a separate B-12 supplement. Get the B-12 in the sublingual tablet form, rather than just trying to get it from the b-complex or multi-vitamin. The sublingual tabs absorb much better. While your b-12 seems fine, I don't think it would hurt to take a little more, in addition to a really good b-complex.

With regard to iron - I'd suggest asking about getting an iron panel done first before adding in iron supplements. Ferritin is just one aspect of the whole 'iron' picture, and you might want to follow up and find out your serum iron, total iron binding capacity, tranferrin saturation (also known as iron saturation) etc. in addition to that ferritin number you already have - this will shed more light on whether there's an iron deficiency, or possibly even an iron overload.

Here's a blurb on the iron panel test:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_ironstud_crs.htm

PS - edited to add: iron issues also affect MCV. (macrocytes). You haven't gotten a definitive answer because you might need some more tests run to get to the exact cause of the elevated MCV.