BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
Plus, as a male, you'll be famous.

Kay

THREAD of the CENTURY!

Ok, but humour aside.

Is this macrocytic anemia? Pernicious anemia? Or iron related anemia? Low iron can be caused by microscopic bleeding and one cause of that is intestinal trauma caused from food intolerances. You could get checked for Celiac it is a bunch of nasty testing and often misses the other diagnosis of gluten intolerance, which is just as bad, IMHO. I wouldn't rely on conventional celiac testing but would use a fecal test which Enterolab.com has available. You can test for other food intolerances too. If you do find out you're gluten intolerant, treat it with the same respect as you would celiac disease.

Macrocytic anemia is caused by low folate levels or low b12 levels. Your B12 levels are ok, but it doesn't hurt to raise them. Low thyroid can also cause that sort of anemia. Pernicious anemia can be caused by intestinal troubles, lack of an enzyme you need to process B12 called Intrinsic Factor. Iron anemia can be caused by microscopic bleeding or not absorbing iron properly... think intestines again, although you can lose blood in other ways too.

Do you have any intestinal issues? Irritable bowels, diarrhea, that sort of thing?

Ok, I just looked up macrocytes, those are abnormally large blood cells which indicates macrocytic anemia or pernicious anemia. Checking blood folate levels doesn't help because, according to my rhuemy, the folate is where it can't really be measured. I have macrocytic anemia from a drug I take and I'm taking LOTS of extra folate. Hopefully that will help my red blood cell size, I haven't heard yet from my latest blood test.

You should probably try to figure out why you have this sort of anemia. I'm betting you're taking a drug that interferes with folate absorbing or you've got some intestinal issues or a diet seriously lacking in folate.

If you want to dispense with all this testing nonsense, just follow the paleo diet and see if that helps your bloodwork, and whatever symptoms you might have.