Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default Yep, it's your thyroid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1708
I just got the rT3 numbers -- rT3 is 217 pg/mL, T3 was 2.4 pg/mL. That gives T3/rT3 of 0.011. Um, yep. I would say .01 is less than .2. :-)

Beth,

Couple of things. First, it's not T3/rT3 -- as I said in my first post it's FREE T3/rT3. Do you have something on your report that says FT3? If so, what's the number. Also, for the FT3 (if you have it) there should be a 'range' listed. What is the range? You should also have FT4 listed, and a range. If so, please post here.

Second, rT3 of 217 is high. That is, not good, and even without knowing the actual ratio I believe my suspicion of rT3 hypo is confirmed, and indeed is the cause of your high cholesterol. Nice that it dropped a bit, but you will need thyroid medication to get it down another 200 points.

Third, as to the ratio itself, if your FT3 number were to also be 2.4 (for example), you would do the ratio like this: 2400/217 = 11.05 (or, converted to your lab number, that .1 you mention). This is just a bit more than half of what it needs to be. It should be 20, or .2.

This positively means hypo, and given your temps, specifically Wilson's Temperature Syndrome. The bad news is, this is bad news. The good news is -- it's easily treated, depending on your ferritin and cortisol levels. Did you have both of those tested as well? If not, head right back to the doc to have them done.

Quote:
In the meantime, I did have a heart scan, which came back with a score of 0. That is a big relief.

I'm not in the least surprised, but I'm very happy for you.

Now, let's get you on track to fix the thyroid problem. I'll look here for your reply/numbers.

Lisa