Old Thu, Feb-18-16, 08:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
OOh Lichen, yum, I have a hard time not snacking when I'm tree pruning

I also tend to believe that we had (like animals) an intuitive sense of what would poison us (before refined sugar). Certain compounds would send an immediate signal that this was not edible. Now that we are eating "parmesan cheese" made out of wood fiber, we've completely lost the ability to pick up on those subtle signals. And of course if you are starving, you'll eat just about anything in desperation. So if our bodies are "starving" for nutrition, and we're just filling our stomach with crap, not getting the vital nutrients we need, then we'll just keep eating to try and fill that void--even if it should signal as "poison".

You too? Snacking on lichens while trimming trees and positioning landscaping rocks was my best kept secret. Tough to admit!

Agree with the fact we've lost it. Due to so many frankenfoods and the over-stimulation of our eating senses, we've lost the ability to feel real hunger and to feel real satiety. Not sure how our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have fared, as they were intelligent enough to recognize that when one of them keeled over dead due to mushroom consumption or from toxic berries that maybe they ought to stay away from those things. More of a trial and fatal error type of approach. I know that some groups in the past would watch what birds consumed on cacti and other vegetation to determine what was poisonous or not. Smart. That's one of the things our species has going for it. However, that may be the very thing that undermined our ability to detect a slow death due to processed foods causing metabolic syndrome. We now have seen obesity and death rates skyrocket due to the lack of nutritional knowledge. It's a very slow canary in the coal mine type of dynamic. Hey, but we seem to be catching on . . . .