Old Wed, May-02-01, 08:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Exclamation cheese whey powder

hi Nicola,

Seems you missed my post to you yesterday, regarding the whey powder, so I'll copy and paste it here -- hope you see it ..
Quote:
Originally posted by nrussell
........... And if you do jump in - is cheese whey powder the same as whey protein???

Nicola
I doubt that the cheese powder is whey protein. I suspect that it's a cheese sauce powder, such as would be found in Kraft Dinner, or similar packaged macaroni and cheese dishes. They do contain powdered whey, which gives a tangy quality, and is cheaper than milk powder. And very high in carbs. Whey contains most of the lactose (sugar) from the milk, as well the mix likely has starch ingredients to thicken it when cooked....

Also, don't mistake plain powdered whey for the whey protein. The powder is simply dehydrated whey, which contains all the lactose, and is higher in carbs than skim milk powder even. Whey protein is filtered and isolated to remove every trace of lactose. All that's left are the pure proteins lactalbumin and lactoglobulin, and traces of other proteins. You can tell by the price --- isolated whey protein is much more expensive than simple powdered whey, at least triple the price! Whey protein isolate is usually purchased as flavoured shake mixes in the sports nutrition section of health shops or pharmacies. Don't be put off by the pictures of muscle men on the label, but do check to make sure that they are low CARB. Some of the sport formulas are very HIGH in carbs, meant for athletes in training.

hope this helps

Doreen