Thread: 4.5 A1c
View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 15:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It occurs to me that we have gotten far off topic of the original post in this thread which was Type1's excellent A1c results.
I stated my opinion that the ADA should change it's recommendation that "tight control" isn't for everyone and that an A1c that is currently considered acceptable for a diabetic of 7.0 or less (type 1 or 2) is still too high. That's still my opinion, since the current standards are leading diabetics into a lifetime of complications and early deaths, I believe unecessarily. From my own experience, I can tell you that I was far more stressed when my blood sugars were out of control than I have ever been attempting to achieve Dr. Bernstein's definition of "tight control". According to my last A1c, I'm not there yet, but I'm hoping that my next one this Friday will show me that I am or have at least moved closer to that goal.
What everyone decides to make their own personal blood sugar targets and how to achieve them is up them and their physicians, but I still hold to my opinion that an A1c of 7, or even 6 on an ongoing basis will lead to problems sooner or later while an A1c of 5 or lower consistently will significantly delay or even possibly prevent/reverse diabetic complications. Personally, I'm shooting for those lower numbers because I firmly believe that my long-term health and quality of life depends on it.
I know A1c doesn't give the whole picture and every day blood glucose readings play an important part as well since blood glucose needs to remain elevated for a longer period of time than 2-3 hours to show up on an A1C, some speculate that it could take an elevation of up to 24 hours to affect A1c readings from what I've read but I think that's stretching things a bit. Based on that, daily monitoring is very important, both fasting and post-prandial, in aiding us as a guide towards keeping blood sugars in the normal range as much as possible.