Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Dina...that was a 22 point rise from you FBG; well within Dr. B's standard for no more than 30 points following a meal and then a return to normal levels and even I wouldn't consider that a spike. Yes, it's higher than you'd like to see it, but you also started out higher. I'm curious why you check at 30-45 minutes since your blood sugar can continue to rise for up to an hour after you eat, or longer depending on the meal.
Personally, I'd be a little suspicious of the Egg Beaters. The nutritional info I found states that 1/2 cup has 50 calories, 10 grams of protein, 0 fat and 1 gram of carb. That's 40 calories from protein with the remaining 10 having to be carb, or 2.5..round up to 3. 1.5 + 3 = 4.5 (round up to 5) which would raise the average diabetic's blood sugar 15-25 points (3-5 points per gram of carb). I'm also a little curious what they add to it since my carb counter book lists 1 egg white at 3.5 grams of protein, so by their protein declaration, 1/2 cup is less than 3 whites, but it also states that 3 egg whites should equal less than 1 gram of carb (0.3 grams each, or 0.9); I'm coming up with almost 3 by doing the math. Either way, the 30 grams of carb or less per day seems to be working well for me since my blood glucose seems to be pretty much pinned in the mid 80's for the past several weeks even through TOM, using low carb bread (11 grams total with 8 fiber for 3 net) and CarbSmart ice cream through the holidays. I'll be having an A1c drawn on Friday, so that will tell me how accurate my meeter readings have been. I guess we all can only do our best when it comes down to it.

Lisa:
i've read that the highest spike is after 30-45 minutes after a meal, my 2h pp is much better, mostly 80-90. i also think that for a good H1C spike shortly after a meal is more important than checking 2-3 hours after, this would be my next before-meal testing. as for 2 h pp it's never been higher than 120 even after a regular meal. my FBG is what identifies me as a diabetic, not the H1C.
the egg beaters i use have 30 calories per 1/4 cup with 6g protein and less than 1 g of carbs. it's 99% egg whites, guarm gum, color (beta carotine including) and a bunch of vitamins, which may be contribute to extra 2 calories, not fitting into the equation. as for carbs counting, i don't bother with such a precise count anymore since 30g it's too low for me anyway, i need at least 60 to keep ly liver happy otherwise it's working overtime, and doesn't know when to stop. as i said we are all different. what works for insulin resistant doesn't work for insulin deficient and wise versa. BTW, i've looked at your daily food in your journal, and just wondering, what is your actual calories intake? it seems like starvation level to me unless you eat greater quantities of everything. also, it seems a bit low on fiber too, mostly protein and fat. when i was on 30 g carbs daily, i got horrible muscle cramps almost every night.well, it looks like we all can do only this much when trying to stay healthy.
thanks,
dina