View Single Post
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-06-21, 12:44

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Most Pop Tart flavors I'm not too wild about. The cherry and strawberry aren't bad. But I absolutely LOVE the chocolate fudge ones. Would usually eat four or six pastries at one setting.

No, I don't think Kellogg's is evil. They are marketing products that people want because, to lots of people, they taste wonderful. I don't know to what degree Kellogg's, as a company, knows that sugar is addictive to many people and are relying on it. Alcohol is addictive to many people, so are the beer companies evil for making and marketing beer to people that enjoy beer?

When I was diagnosed with Type II in 2005, I was given the standard ADA diet which included well over 200 g of carbs including things like white rice, of all things. I was also told that diabetes is invariably a progressive disease that would eventually require insulin, but was also told that the silver lining at that point was that I could adjust my insulin intake to match whatever food I consumed.

Since I had already had prior success, back in 2002, on low carb and had read what several low carb books had to say about Type II diabetes, I immediately threw all of that professional advice right out the window and started low carb again. Had the expected great results -- and then couldn't make it stick and fell off the wagon.

Staying low carb, especially for a sugar addict, is very hard. None of the LC books acknowledge or address that. They all try to paint this rosy picture that all you have to do is follow their very simple rules and eat food that you love and life will be just peachy. Well, that works great for selling lots of books, but doesn't do a damn for solving the problem that hardcore sugar addicts actually face.

As for the Pop Tarts thing -- making tacos and other stuff out of them just sounds stupid. What's the point? I don't want a taco to taste like pastry and I don't want a pastry to taste like a taco. Call me weird. But would I still love the taste of a chocolate fudge Pop Tart? Oh, yeah! And I don't dare take even one bite.