View Single Post
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 03:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Eating with Gengkis Kahn.

Not really a Cookbook, the introduction to Mongolian food explains why Shawn Baker likes it.
https://www.amazon.com/Eating-Gengh...k/dp/B00820YM6I

Quote:
In 1995, I spent 3 weeks in Mongolia.

And while I was there, I lost 10 pounds.

Not because I got sick, but because Mongolians are the original Atkins dieters (think lots and LOTS of meat) and because the food’s a little bland. (The Mongols are really fond of boiled meat). Not that there’s anything wrong with boiled meat. But I’m the kind of guy who goes through a lot of pepper flakes. My family and I debate the merits of different hot sauces. But not the Mongols. They just like meat. Lots of meat.

But in addition to meat, they eat lots of dairy products. You see, their ancestors were nomads, and spent most of their time roaming from place to place in search of good grazing grounds for their animals.

So there wasn’t a lot of time for planting crops, much less harvesting them. And they just never developed a taste for vegetables. Or fruit. Or grains.

Mongolia’s capital, Ulaanbaatar (pronounced “OOH-lahn-BAH-tar”), has become a trendy vacation spot, and it’s possible to find everything from salad bars to vegetarian restaurants there.
But you have to trust me that these are NOT for domestic consumption. Mongols don’t quite see the point of salad bars, and as for vegetarian cooking, their thought is that vegetables are OK for eating, but hardly worth the bother.

continues at link