#25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 13:26

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
It sounds like there's some duplication of resources already in place here. For book reviews .. there's a sub-forum in the Technical section dedicated to book/plan reviews, complete with stickies (that nobody reads) outlining the desired format. Properly formatted reviews are published on our host site, http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/. There hasn't been a new submission in a long time, hint hint

Hmmm... I don't remember ever looking in the Plan Comparison section for books. Would this be somewhere we should be posting books like Taubes "Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It"? Or like Kirsteen had suggested books about the emotional sides of dieting (ex. self-esteem, motivational...)? If it is then maybe the title could be changed to reflect that it is a section for books?

Quote:
Regarding food lists .. While there are sticky threads with food lists in the Atkins section, folks should know that not all authors will allow their food lists and program details to be published without permission (other than a book review). More than once, we've had to pull threads due to complaints/threats from a disgruntled author or their publisher!

So, even if we can't do one for each section, would we be able to have one in the "General Section"? It's nice seeing everyone's lists, but they aren't all acceptable foods for Atkins. It's also nice to find out about new products that we may not find in any books (or at least a book we've read.) For example, I don't think I've ever heard about shiritaki noodles anywhere except for people posting on these forums.

Quote:
OTOH, a sticky thread where links to various off-site resources can be consolidated in one place is a good idea .. albeit a lot of work. Keep in mind that any thread calling for off-site links will be a spam magnet . We've already removed spam posts from this very thread, with "helpful link" to some scam diet pill site

Is there a way to do this while minimizing the additional work? The reason I was leaning toward stickies is that I thought it would be less work than adding new sections, and users could simply add to it when they found something new. (Like I said I don't mind getting a starting list ready and expanding my own list. If there one format of posting the list that is better than another I'd be happy to do it.)

Thanks for your insight!