View Single Post
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-18, 16:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I realize this thread has been brought back from the brink--- but I have a piece of info that might be very valuable to someone in the future.

Dr Daniel AMen is an MD that studies the brain, in particular ADD?ADHD and all the complications that surround the brain complications.

His book HEALING ADD is the first place to start, then look for his more recent editions of the old publications.

HE carefully notes that many children had bad reactions to ritalin, which turned off so many from that drug; he cautions that the whole brain was not evaluated BEFORE administering that type of medication. He points out that another area of the brain is very irritated by the ritalin and it is important to support that area FIRST before starting ritalin.

I have such a child. He is low in seratonin. He needs support in that area with either some levels of carbs to build seratonin, or use 5HTP to create seratonin. When the brain is balanced, the ritalin works well for him. ANd me.

Some people need more support, more seratonin, because the natural levels are lower than optimum. Then add on a low car diet , and the precusoros for seratonin are decreased further. So perhaps this is why soe people have difficulties with a very low carb diet.

Dr Amen cautions that these people should not go low carb. For me I feel my best, and my son too. We opt for the addition of the 5HTP to bring up seratonin.

Dr AMen goes to great lengths to explain the brain chemistry and fuction and the book is well worth the few dollars to further understand the complexities of the brain.

I hope this helps someone.